Mediterranean Food List
This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links.
The Mediterranean diet consists of eating the following along with physical activity exercise.
- Vegetables, nuts, fruits, legumes, seeds, whole grains, potatoes, herbs, bread, fish, spices, seafood, extra virgin olive oil.
- Moderation foods include poultry, eggs, cheese, and yogurt.
- Foods to eat rarely include red meat
- Foods to not eat include sugary beverages, added sugar, processed meat, refined grains and oils along with other highly processed foods.
Unhealthy foods that should be avoided along with ingredients:
- Added Sugar; Soda Pop, Candy, Ice Cream, Table Sugar along with others.
- Refined Grains; White Bread and pasta that is made with refining wheat.
- Trans Fat; this is found in margarine and more processed foods
- Refined Oils; include soybean oil, canola oil, cottonseed oil, and others.
- Processed meats; includes processed sausages, hot dogs, canned meat and prepackaged sandwich meat.
- Highly processed foods; This includes anything labeled “low fat” or “Diet” or anything that looks like it is made in a factory.
Always read the labels on your food for intake to avoid unhealthy foods and their ingredients.
The foods you can eat.
The foods listed below are based on healthy foods and unprocessed foods with a Mediterranean diet.
- Vegetables include; Broccoli, Tomatoes, Spinach, Kale, Onions, Carrots, Cauliflower, Cucumbers, Brussel Sprouts and more.
- Fruits include; Apples, Oranges, Bananas, Pears, Grapes, Strawberries, Dates, Melons, Figs, Peaches and more.
- Nuts and seeds include; Almonds, Macadamia Nuts, Walnuts, Cashews, Hazelnuts, Sunflower Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds and more.
- Legumes include; Peas, Beans, Lentils, Peanuts, Pulses, Chickpeas and more.
- Tubers include; Sweet Potatoes, Potatoes, Yams, Turnips and more.
- Whole grains include; Whole oats, brown rice, barley, rye, corn, whole wheat, buckwheat, whole grain bread and pasta.
- Fish and seafood include; Sardines, Salmon, Tuna, Trout, Shrimp, Mackerel, Clams, Oysters, Mussels, Crabs and more.
- Poultry includes; Duck, Chicken, Turkey and more.
- Eggs include; Chicken, Quail, Duck
- Dairy Includes; Cheese, Greek Yogurt
- Herbs and spices include; Garlic, Mint, Basil, Sage, Rosemary, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Pepper and more.
- Healthy Fats include; Extra virgin olive oil, avocadoes, olives, and avocado oil.
What you can drink on the Mediterranean Diet.
Of course, water should be your number one drink on any diet especially when following the Mediterranean diet.
This diet can include moderate amounts of red wine based on one glass a day. The one glass of wine a date is optional and should avoid if have alcoholism problems that result in their consumption intake.
You can drink tea or coffee but avoid adding sugar and sweetened creamers to your coffee. Avoid consuming sugary drinks and fruit juices that are high in sugar also avoid drinks that say diet.